After almost 20 years there is an update to the FT-817: the FT-818ND. The successor uses the same compact housing with built-in battery and offers a perfect portable station. The technical specifications are basically the same as for the FT-817ND, but of course there are also some new features to report:
- larger NiMH battery, now 1900 mAh (before it was 1400 mAh)
- Higher TX power of 6W
- TXCO-9 already installed
- 60m Band (5 MHz) activated
Thus, the FT-818 retains the benefits that have made its predecessor one of the most popular amateur radio transceivers - compact design, versatile applications, all bands including VHF, all operating modes.
Small handy allmode QRP transceiver, all bands from 160m to 70cm, maximum 6 Watt output power, built-in battery compartment, 2 switchable antenna connectors, 9k6 packet connector. The device is characterized by simple menu navigation, switchable antenna connections and 4 switchable power levels. While portable the device can be operated with rechargeable or alkaline batteries, the scope of delivery includes a rechargeable battery with 9.6V/1900mAh. Of course, the FT-818 also has a built-in telegraphy keyer.
Over the years, Yaesu has changed and improved the transceiver in several steps. The first FT-817 has been manufactured since 2000, since 2004 the model FT-817ND has been introduced. The innovations were among other things a battery with 1400 mAh and a charger. Since 2018 the FT-818 has replaced the popular compact transceiver. The changes included a larger battery, a slightly increased transmission power and the already installed TCXO.
- 4 power levels 6/2.5/1/0.5 Watt
- CW/SSB-Filter optional
- Connector for PSK31 / 9k6-Packet
- Built-in TCXO-9
- 60m Band ready
- Continous receive range on shortwave from 100 kHz on, incl. WFM rx
- Selectable display color blue/amber
- Scope monitor
- Voltage monitor
- 200 memories
- Dual Watch Function
- CAT interface
- MH-31A8J handheld microphone
- PA-48C Wall charger
- SBR-32MH NiMH battery 9.6V, 1900 mAh
- FBA-28 Battery case for 8xAA Batteries
- EDC-6 12V DC cable
- YHA-63 BNC antenna (3 parts)
- Carrying Strap
- Printed User Manual (german) 
- Various small items (ferrite, rubber feet etc)
 Non-german speaking customers are supplied with a download link for manuals in other languages (PDF format, english, french, spanish, italian).